I recently had a request to make a baby quilt from fabric from a bridesmaid dress. The quilt was for the baby of the couple my customer was bridesmaid for. I accepted the challenge with just a little hesitation as bridesmaid dress fabric is a lot harder to work with than the cottons I usually make my quilts from!
After a few issues getting the bridesmaid dress across the border and delivered to my house, we worked out a color scheme and some coordinating fabric. Every time I do something new, I also learn something unexpected, like how to avoid nasty border fees!
Navy, green and grey are a great color combination and not one I've done before, so it was fun to put them together into a chevron pattern. Because I didn't want to have too many seams in the bridesmaid dress fabric (it was 100% polyester and the edges frayed a lot!) I made a template and cut from that. The dress was a fitted one with lots of seams and there was barely enough fabric there to make the 2 chevron rows from it.
This quilt is backed with white dimple Minky and the batting is Quilter's Dream. I spent a lot of time picking the dark loose threads from the polyester fabric from the back of this quilt as they showed through not just the solid white fabric, but the green print fabrics as well. I pin excessively when I have Minky on the back of a quilt. I quilted in the ditch with a straight stitch along the chevrons and with a zigzag next to the navy polyester fabric to hold the fraying to a minimum.
|Navy, green & grey Baby Quilt|
|Putting it together on the design wall|