Every sew often, I have to do a little cleaning up so I can find what I'm looking for. These drawers are from IKEA and came with their own stand, but my handy husband made frames for them so I could use them in the walk in closet in my sewing room.
Often when I clean, I find fabrics that I think go good together and will set them aside in a baggie to make a quilt at a later date.
Above are my pinks and reds all neatly folded and easy to see what's there. And below is a stack of fabrics that have similar shades. That pretty floral is a remnant from my sister's sewing for her daughters. (So, about 25-30 years old?)
I don't start with any particular pattern or design, but quilters are nothing if not resourceful and I decided on a few stars with some alternating blocks.
I cut everything out and had just enough of the floral to make the nine block centers.
The pinks look great in a quilt together even if they weren't exact matches. It also makes the blocks more interesting than if they had all been the exact same fabric.
And this is the drawers, all neatly folded and organized. This won't last too long, but it's pretty when I do get it done!
And I used my rulers to quilt this! It's so great to have a smaller project to practice new skills and this little quilt was just the right canvas to try a few new things on
Zoom in to check out the quilting!
I had a lot of fun working on this one - sometimes it's good to do something just because it's fun!
And I used pink thread on the back too so the quilting could be seen! I still have a few thread nests that I'm sure will get less as I do more of this kind of quilting.
Often I get requests to finish something started by another quilter from the past and this year I received a collection of pre-cut stars and some assembled blocks from a client's grandmother.
I was unable to use the blocks that were already pieced together as the center points didn't match up, they weren't all square and they didn't lay flat.
I was really sad that I wasn't able to as someone had made a lot of effort to match up solids and prints to make a large quilt.
So I took the pieces that weren't already sewn together, trimmed them down slightly to make the pieces accurate enough to make pretty blocks. My centers weren't all perfect, but they are pretty close! :)
Then I needed to find a border and sashing fabric to bring all the different stars together.
The customer ended up choosing the teal blue and it looks so great; modern and vintage at the same time. An edge to edge feather quilting design just adds to the vintage feel.
Have you ever finished someone else's unfinished quilt? Did you enjoy the process?
Ii have a repeat customer that loves quilts and quilting but is unable to do it for herself because of chronic health issues, so every so often, I do a commission quilt for her. This time it was a Hello Kitty quilt.
I selected a few designs and adjusted the colors on the embroidery to the purple my client requested. I chose bow tie blocks because Hello Kitty is always with a bow on her head.
I had a fat quarter pack of some purple prints that I thought would work great as a piano key border, but it just felt too busy and took away from the Hello Kitty designs.
The plain purple cotton solid was a much better pick. And I ended up having all the bows turned the same direction.
I quilted 1/4" echoes around the bow ties and stippled some free motion around the embroidery.
I added a few hanging loops and it's ready for my customer!